The client turned to us with the need to advertise the newly created application Bond.ua — a tool for buying domestic government bonds (better known as “military bonds”).
For many Ukrainians, the opportunity to buy domestic government bonds has become news. But such a new product has received significant media support in the market. The bonds were presented by the media and opinion leaders as a profitable financial instrument, and their purchase as a patriotic act. So, despite the novelty of the product, the customer did not need to warm up the market – instead, the state has already told about the product to a wide audience.
As marketers, we created the first advertising campaigns for the application, and our goal was to gain the initial audience of the application. And the main KPI of campaigns, respectively, was the number of installations.
There can be no detailed targeting in application installation campaigns, neither by age, nor gender, nor audience. So the main target for us was geo. The application was promoted in Kyiv, Odesa, and Dnipro. And also in Lviv, Chernivtsi, Ivano-Frankivsk, Zakarpattia, Khmelnytsky and Ternopil regions. The regions were offered to the client given the situation in the country – we focused on conditionally safe regions in the spring of 2022.
The tracking took place through Firebase, which was installed on the client’s side and by his own efforts. In iOS, the conversion was credited only after the user opened the application. That is, it was not about the installations themselves, but about a deeper convention of the First Open. Because of this, we did not see the actual number of installations in the advertising campaign but saw the users who installed the application and opened it. At the same time, there was no such confusion on Android and we saw information about installs.
We will remind, earlier we already had problems with Firebase tracking when the system claimed. that Cyprus has no iOs users at all. Then we were able to find “lost” users after changing the tracking system. Read more in the case study: Firebase VS Adjust: How Display Campaigns Can Suffer Because of Data
Google Ads has become the main tool for creating promotion. We decided to choose it as a guarantee of a guaranteed result. The client had not yet started, and the product was new, so we decided not to experiment, but only to test the most plausible hypotheses. In addition, Google Ads campaigns are adaptive. You can set options for titles, descriptions and creatives, and the system itself, watching the users, will collect the most effective combinations of options.
We also planned to launch advertising on Facebook, but we had to postpone this idea. Meta does not allow the promotion of applications that are in beta, because it is not a fully ready product for promotion to the end user and can damage the reputation. Also a mandatory requirement for promotion is to configure the Facebook SDK – a tool that configures the advertising campaign and get Application_id. Together with the client, we agreed on the nuances for the advertising campaign on Facebook and will later share this experience.
By the way, we have the manual on how to share access to a Meta ad account.
In total, during the three weeks of the campaign (mid-April to early May), we reached almost 2 million users, of whom more than 8,000 installed and opened the application. The cost of installation throughout the campaign was lower than planned, while the number of installations exceeded expectations twice.
If we talk about conversion, most of the traffic on Android was taken by Lviv region and Kyiv. They accounted for the largest and approximately equal part of the shows and installations. At the same time, the CPA in all cities and regions was approximately the same, differing from each other by 1 cent.
On iOS, we saw a similar picture – most of the conveyors fell on Kyiv and Lviv region. But the cost of conversions varied from region to region. The average cost of conversion to iOS for all geos was ten times more than the installation on Android.
In general, the number of installations increased during the campaign and their cost decreased – this is how it should be when your advertising is set up by professionals.
Conclusions and recommendations
- As a result of the advertising campaign, we exceeded the metrics for almost all metrics we had: impressions, clicks, CPC and CPA (Android), and CPC (iOS), although the CPA for iOS was 12.64% higher than planned. The main KPI, the number of installs, we exceeded by 72.24%.
- In future advertising campaigns, we recommend expanding geotargeting to reach a larger audience. Regional centers, such as Uzhhorod, Lutsk, Lviv, Ivano-Frankivsk, etc., should be singled out. Expanding the audience will provide a larger statistical sample to draw further conclusions based on the data. But, of course, we must take into account the situation in the country and not run advertising in areas and cities that are close to hostilities.
- We recommend testing in future Apple Search Ads campaigns to increase iOS performance. This should affect the cost, reach, and conversions of users of this platform.
- You should also run optimization campaigns for deeper conversion – buying bonds in the application.
- Before you can promote an app on Facebook, you need to configure and link apps to Facebook, configure the SDK, and bind application_id. If the application involves monetization, or sale of anything in the app, you need to properly configure these internal payments. Without fulfilling all the requirements to create an advertising campaign for the application on Facebook will be impossible.
If you’re looking for an analytics solution for your mobile apps, you’ll be interested in our Firebase & Adjust comparison case study.